A Story of the Winds

I'm just writing this for no reason...

A Story of the Winds
By Cate Harrington

MANY LONG YEARS AGO, THERE was a girl named Ela. Ela was orphaned. She was very lonely in the orphanage that she lived in. Her hair was golden-blonde with blue eyes, and she had long scars down her back with small white stubs that she always kept hidden. Her favorite thing to do was to stand on the roof of the orphanage and let the wind guide her body.
 Ela was no doubt the most beautiful girl in the orphanage, but the other girls gossiped about her. Sure, they might have prettier dresses and nicer hair, but their insides were ugly. Ela could sense this. She called it her sixth sense.
 "Ugh, look at that Ela girl! She's so ugly."
 Ela could hear their hushed supposed to be quiet whispers. I am Elanor. I am beautiful, both inside and out. They look better than me. But they are ugly inside.
 "Hello, girls," Ela called out. "Priya. Nitashka."
 Priya was first to recover. "Hi, Ela!" she exclaimed cheerfully, discreetly elbowing Nitashka while trying to be discreet.
 "Oh, uh - hi, Ela!" Nitashka exclaimed, blushing. Out of the corner of her mouth, she whispered, "Sorry about that. Priya would kill me if I said something else." Priya and Nitashka were twins, and Priya was ten minutes older than Nitashka, which meant something like, I can boss you around and get the best stuff 'cause I'm the oldest.
 Priya sent Nitashka a glare that meant, Nitashka, stop. Now. You're not supposed to be sorry!
 Priya rolled her eyes. "Haha!" She giggled, an obviously fake giggle. "Oh, Nitashka, you're so funny! I can't believe Ela believed that!"
 "Uh - yeah," Nitashka answered halfheartedly. "So funny."
 Priya led Nitashka away.
 Life went like this for many years, until one day when a woman in a shadowy outfit came to adopt her. "Elanor."
 "Ah - shh!" Ela protested. "No one can say my real name."
 "Relax, Elanor," the woman answered, laying a hand on Ela's shoulder. "I can."
 She led Ela into a hidden, shadowy alleyway, where she took off her trench coat and hat. She revealed beautiful white wings, golden hair, and blue eyes - just like Ela. Well, the wings matched the wing stubs, anyways.
 "I am your mother, Elanor," she announced. "My name is Riatulfa. We are Valkyries." She set both hands onto Ela's shoulders.
 Ela glowed in a golden light. Wings grew out of her wing stubs, and she began to flap. "Ms. Riatulfa - I mean, Mother," she gasped.
 And she rose into the light, dancing in the sky, letting the wind guide her wings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weird Greek Names

WE'RE MOVING ON!!!!!!

Pamuya's Story